Bug? - named positions self-duplicating

It seems that every time I open an a file where I’ve got named positions in it, they duplicate themselves.

It’s annoying. Is there something I can do to prevent this?

thanks,
Ernest

Yoiks. I’ll see if I can reproduce that here. Thanks for the report.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

One way you can reproduce this is to copytoclipboard an object, which belongs to one or more named positions, then paste into another Rhino session and all the named positions the object belongs to comes with it. Paste again and you get the copies showing up.

Hi Brian - got that, thanks- I suppose that makes sense. Ernest, are you doing anything like that, or just seeing this happen without duplicating objects somehow?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

I certainly do paste objects between sessions. Not sure if I do it enough to account for all the copies, but could be. I was getting the impression that it was copied each time I saved/reopened - but this would make less sense.

I’ll keep an eye on it and let you know if I discover anything at this end.

thanks,
Ernest

It’s looking like the copy/paste is the culprit here.

So is this considered a bad method of workflow, or is there justification for a setting that could turn this behaviour off?

thanks,
Ernest

If Named position is going to receive some attention, as well as the CopyToClipboard problem, there are a couple of other draw-backs with this excellent feature. I mentioned these before but in case they never made it to the bug list…

If you copy or mirror an object within a NamedPosition set, it would work better if the link was broken by default because the copied objects will move around (probably unexpectedly) when the named position is used. It can always be added back in with the append button if req’d.

Additionally ‘NamedPosition’ really needs a remove from set button somewhere. As far as I can see, to remove an object from the set, you need to select the set, de-select the object, copyclip the name, delete the position, resave the position for the remaining selection with the pasted name.

1 Like

Hi Brian - I think the easier way is to select the objects(right click menu on the named pos. in the list) , deselect the objects to remove, and then save the position. But I agree this is not intuitive and fraught with potential errors if you make an incorrect selection, and there needs to be a better way. I’ll add things to the pile- thanks.

-Pascal

Yes, that works, thanks Pascal, didn’t think to right-click the list. Agree it could be more intuitive.