Bug - Corruption on dimensions

Seemed to be corruption on the display of dimensions on an image. See attached image where the numbers are unreadable.

Version 5.0 (5A851)

@Philip_Westwell

Can you give us some more information about your system?
Which OSX version are you at?

It would be handy to have the information from: “Rhinoceros, About Rhinoceros”, then the three tabs after “More Info…”

Thanks,

Thanks, Rodri. I should have thought of that myself beforehand…

“Copy to clipboard” seems to give me these. One notable thing is I’m one version behind on Mac OS. Let me know if you want to try any experiments.

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 (5A851)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.9.5 (Build 13F1077)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
com.deterministicnetworks.driver.dniregistry (1.0.7)
com.deterministicnetworks.driver.dne (1.0.18)
com.citrix.driver.net6im (1.1.9)
com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (1.6.6)
com.McAfee.kext.AppProtection (1.1.0d1)
com.mcafee.kext.Virex (1.1.0d1)
com.sierrawireless.driver.SierraDIPSupport (1.0.0)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro8,1
Processor: Intel Core i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Screen size: 1280 x 800
Displays: Color LCD (114dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Canon: CanoScan
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.: M2020 Series
Mitsumi Electric: Apple Optical USB Mouse
Apple Inc.: Apple Keyboard
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 INTEL-8.24.16
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 8192 x 8192
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 8192 x 8192

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

Hey @Philip_Westwell, thanks for alerting us to this and for submitting your system info. I’m trying to reproduce this here and having the file would be a big help to us. Judging from the screenshot (not always safe ;)), the file looks small. Can you attach it here so we can work on reproducing what you are seeing on our own systems?

Sorry for delay, Dan. Rodri’s reply triggered an email alert but yours didn’t seem to.

Here is the file. After closing an reopening Rhino the rendering is better (readable, at least), but the characters aren’t particularly well formed - they actually show better in the file preview (image) on Mac Finder application than they do in the app itself.

Let me know how you get on.

Best regards

Phil

File

MountsVersion1.3dm (116.2 KB)

Mac Finder - preview image

Rhino app

(should have mentioned: being able to determine measurements accurately to a tenth mm is going to be an important part of what I intend to do, so for me this would be a showstopper, unless there’s a workaround such as another way of finding the measurements)

@mary Can you please try to reproduce this issue on Mavericks?

@dan The Intel 3K chip sorts jumps off the page as a possible problem too.

Hi Philip,
Thanks for posting the image and for the update about closing and reopening the model.
I am not able to reproduce the garbled dimension text with the model you provide on my Mavericks system, GeForce 650m, Retina display, 16gb.

See for the attached image which even looks good even tested with different fonts options.

In addition to the messed up display of dimension text, there seems to be an additional questions as to how to set the precision of the dimension, so I will address it.

Rhino uses a Dimension Style to control the way each dimension is displayed. You can see what Dimstyle is assigned to a dimension in Object Properties under the Dimension info.

In File -> Setting -> Dimension you can change the Default dimension style settings and make additional dimension styles.

The precision of the dimension style is controlled here. (The precision of the model is set under units. These are independent settings, however could be the same.) In the Dimension Style you select what you want your dimension precision to be, integer, 1/10, 1/100, 1/1000 unit… you set that here. After creating a set of dimensions that are assigned to that style, if the precision needs to increase of decrease, you can change it in the style. This change will affect all the dimensions that use that style. (Or you can override the dimensions style with a precision that affects just the one dimension in Properties, that is a another story.)

Let me know if I missed something or if the problem persists.
Sincerely,
Mary Fugier

1 Like

Thanks for that update, Mary. I can see your version looks perfect.

With regard to dimanesions, thanks for the information about precision. I didn’t know that and it’s really useful to know (the only thing I’ll now have to discover for myself is whether the 3-D printer agency can actually print to hundredths of mm accuracy!). However, I was more thinking that if the dimensions are unreadable on my computer, whether there’s a workaround such as looking at a properties dialog to see what the text says.

That said, I’m overdue a MacOS upgrade so I’ll proceed with that first and report back. It could be that a driver somewhere has become corrupt/out of sync. If that fixes it then I’ll report back.

Best regards

Phil

Just adding to this thread - I also have glitching dimensions on Rhino 5.0.2 running on Mac OS X 10.0.5. Macbook Pro early 2011 with Intel Graphics 3000 - maybe the Intel 3000 graphics is causing the problem?

The glitches seem to happen in the perspective window - the top/front/right views seem more stable. Hope this helps. Nick

Here’s some pictures:

Copy/paste of info here:

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0.2 (5A865)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en-GB (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F27)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
com.karios.driver.DuetDisplay (1)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro8,1
Processor: Intel Core i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Screen size: 1280 x 800
Displays: Color LCD (114dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 INTEL-10.0.35
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 8192 x 8192
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 8192 x 8192

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

Hi Nick,
Thanks for all the details.
Would you mind sending us the 3DM?

You can ExportSelected and only send as much of the file that will show us the problem.
I have 2012 era MacBook with GE Force card.
The Rhino for Mac system requirements are here.
"NVIDIA or AMD graphics processor is recommended."
My initial guess it is related to the Intel video on your system.

I am happy to test and make sure it is not an issue that will follow the model.
Sincerely,
Mary Fugier

HI
Yes, the Intel 3000 chips are problematic and we can’t fix them.
The Intel 4000 and newer are still pretty slow but at least they work.

Mary,

Thanks for this clear explanation. If I may suggest a couple slight improvements, they would be:

1. Defaults for dimension precision would match whatever template is being used (if one is selected).

2. Having never really examined the Dimension disclosure triangle in the Properties window, I was pleased to see the item “Result = XX.XXXX”. Very clear!

It would be very useful (and helpful) if the same “Result” item could also be shown in the File > Settings > Dimension window! (Which is where many will go to adjust settings for Dims). And it might alleviate some future confusion.

~Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the update and feedback.
I logged two feature requests in our tracker system for consideration in future Rhino version:

1. Preview of the dimension style in the File->Setting->Dimension dialog.
  2. Match the precision of the default dim style and model unit precision in all the templates.

Let us know if you have any additional questions or suggestions.
Sincerely,
Mary Fugier

1 Like