Autosave saving just after doing a mistake

Again Autosave doesn’t help…
I just lost a lot of work and time because Autosave saved just after mistakenly deleting parts of my model, that i have to reconstruct with older file versions now. Why are you doing this to us? please give us back the command over the program we’re using to do our work. thanks

If you just deleted some stuff by mistake, cmd+z will bring it back… even after a save/autosave…

–Mitch

Thanks, of course i tried, but it didn’t, was even disabled in the top menu. Besides some minor advantages (i do not forget saving any more) for me it feels like everything has gotten much more difficult after introducing autosave without options. - peter

and i can’t understand why the user cannot or should not decide anymore about autosaving or not or the time and frequency of saving

Maybe you should switch to PC… At least Microsoft hasn’t decided that it knows better when to save than its users do… yet.

–Mitch

yeah you’re right…at home i use it on ms, at the office there’s only mac…hopefully they get it fixed

The autosave is either a blessing or a curse, and with design work more of a curse IMO, though I have become used to it with effort. There are solid ways to work with autosave so designers can revert (versions), create branch iterations (duplicate), etc., but one has to think about that more than the time tested methodology of - I just created/revised something I want to keep…SAVE NOW…or branch…SAVE AS. On the plus side however, if one never reverts/errs, one never thinks of saving either. This is progress???

Nonetheless, in any fully released product, the autosave/versions “feature” should be just that, a feature one “should” be able to choose to use or disable. After all, is it the duty of the end user or the developer to define fundamental behavior?

Autosave = Nanny State…or savoir depending on perspective.

1 Like

I have not been able to duplicate what you described. Autosave does not disable undo actions that happened prior to an Autosave. Try this:

1. Create a new model with a few objects, save it to your Desktop, and close the model.
  2. Open the model again, making sure you can also see the preview of the model on your Desktop.
  3. Add a few objects, and perhaps delete some of the objects that are already there.
  4. Wait until you see the model preview change, indicating an Autosave has occurred.
  5. Look at Edit > Undo in the application menu, and it will not be disabled.
  6. You can use Command-Z to undo your changed model all the way back to its state when you opened it in step 2.

I suspect that there is something about the specific command you performed that was undoable, but I would need more specific information to know what to test.

Rhino for Mac is keeping snapshots of your work, and you can browse those snapshots (called Versions) by selecting File > Revert To > Browse All Versions in the application menu. You can either revert to some specific version in the past, or you can browse to some past version, select and copy objects in that previous version, click the Done button, then paste the copied objects into your current model.