Arc: start, end, radius bug?

When opened the dialogue box for inputting radius contains last used value, as expected. Typing a new value and pressing enter does not update the value in the box - it reverts to the original value. Not pressing enter after entering the new value the arc, the radius is not constrained to this value. As long as the arc direction cursor stays outside the endpoints of the arc the radius will be constrained to the typed value, but if the cursor moves between the arc endpoints the arc radius (not just direction) is controlled by the distance between the cursor and the endpoints. I understand that pressing enter without typing a new value accepts the previous used arc radius value, but if I type a new value, I prefer to see the arc diameter constrained independent of cursor location- I should be free to set direction only. Also I think I should be able to change the radius value by typing in a new number and pressing enter and this number should stick for the next time the command opens whether I create an arc or not. Using Rhino for Mac version 5.0.2 (5A865)

Hi Abraham - I see that, thanks - the typed value is used but the UI does not show it.

http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-31270

thanks,

-Pascal

Yes that’s it. But also the selection of arc direction will change the radius value if the cursor is between the endpoints. I would like to see the radius locked so it doesn’t depend on the cursor being outside the endpoints to lock radius. Otherwise you may inadvertently change the radius too and not know as the UI will not update.

It is now nearly 7 years after I first reported this. Still is not working correctly.

Hi Abraham -

There are several things here.
One is that the previously used value is remembered (and displayed) until a new value is used and an arc is actually drawn. RH-31270 was a request to change that behavior so that just entering a new value but not using it would stick. This request was denied.

As I understand it, part of the background for the request was that you can’t “see” the new value that is used while drawing is in progress. The answer to that was that this is displayed in the status bar distance pane:

I can add to that, that, if you check the Distance option in the Rhino Options -> Modeling Aids -> Cursor ToolTips, you will also see this value at the cursor:

As for:

If you type a value that is too small for the input points, you will see a warning in the command history on the status bar:

At that point, you will get the behavior that you describe. Using a radius that is big enough for the input points should lock that radius and won’t depend on the cursor position.
-wim

Thank you! These solutions are fine.